Attic leaks are responsible for 25% to 30% of heat loss. Adding more insulation is only a small of the battle, there is still an opportunity to greatly improve your home’s energy efficiency through air sealing. Through the many leaks in an attic, air can leave the house or air can penetrate from outside and can account for a substantial amount of heat loss, as well as lead to ice damming in winter as well as moisture and mold related problems. It is easy to see that Air Sealing is very important!
Our Attic Systems
Silver Option (New Attics Only)
1. We pinpoint obvious air-leakage and seal them.
2. Blow-in insulation to R-50.
Gold Option (New Attics)
1. Closed cell Spray foam over the entire attic floor to create a COMPLETE air seal.
2. We add blow-in insulation for a total of R50
Old Attic System (Old Attics)
* Each of the following systems qualify for Manitoba Hydro rebates and loans. Rebates are only for homes built before 1999. Typical rebates range from .60 to .85 per square ft. MB Hydro loans max out at $7500.00 at 4.9% for 5 years then adjust to market rate.
You can caluclate your rebate by clicking here
Gold Option (Old Attics)
1. In a process that provides a clean slate to work with, we first remove all existing insulation with our powerful industrial vacuum.
2. We then add spray foam to create a COMPLETE air seal and vapour barrier.
3. To reach code requirements, we add cellulose blow-in insulation for a total of R50
What About Ventilation? (for old homes only)
Venting in new homes isn't an issue, but that's not the case with old houses, which may have no venting at all. In a cold climate, the primary purpose for ventilation is to maintain a cold roof temperature to avoid ice dams created by warm air leakage, and to vent any moisture that moves from the living space to the attic causing frost on the roof deck. By adding a seamless blanket of spray foam to the attic floor, we create a seamless air seal, vapour barrier and a complete separation of the conditioned living space and the unconditioned attic thus minimizing the reason to vent.